Saturday 27 April 2013

MONEY BLUES


Why start with this topic? well it hits pretty close to home at the moment. I am on a benefit and used to work part time, but since I started my degree I have been POOR. I tried working a little last year as well as studying but it was too much. I was stressed and stretched too thin, and my kids were not getting the best of me during this time. But now that I am not working it is a struggle to get everything paid week to week. I want my kids to do sports, to learn to swim, go to scouts etc. but to pay for these things I have to swallow my pride and get financial help from my family. I don't enjoy doing this. It hurts my soul having to ask for help at a time of my life where I should be financially secure. Have any of you felt this?
Further more I can't afford 'nice' new clothes for myself, I shop second hand which I don't mind but as I am in my 30s now I can't really go for the 'grunge' look anymore haha!
It is hard to pay for everything your family needs when there is only one adult to earn the money and care for the kids, when there should be two. Such is the life of a single parent.
Lack of money is something I have to accept at this point. I am looking forward to finishing my study and getting a 'real' job but sometimes that seems a long way off....

4 comments:

  1. Hi, yes a close friend who's also a single parent and I have found money (or rather lack of) one of the biggest problems of being a single parent. Not only does it make you stressed out, but it impacts on your kids, your friends, and your family. It is horrible. Can totally identify with the hurt with having to ask family for help. I've had to rely on family and a couple of friends so much and in the past I've been the one giving..its difficult to be on the receiving end. Benefits barely cover the bare essentials, they don't cover clothes, shoes, medical, petrol for the car, car maintenance and repairs, household stuff, haircuts, etc etc. I hate having to see the kids miss out on opportunities that other kids take for granted. I hate that they can't go on a camping holiday, I hate they can't go do soccer or dance lessons, I hate that they can't have yummy delicious picnic food that everyone else has at a picnic, etc etc. So yes it is tough but something you just have to live with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment, you have listed a lot of basic needs there that it is easy to take for granted when you have a decent income. My car got stolen a while ago and it is very frustrating that I have to borrow one now! Finding 50c is a celebration around here haha. On the flip side we are forced to be creative with things (especially food and school costumes).
      The fact you raise about it impacting widely (on friends and family etc.) is so true and can be hard to live with sometimes.

      Delete
  2. ive put my kids in a room to share so i can move up a lil an got a flatmate luckily for me it was just my brother but still $80 a week sure does come in handy i now have car life an contents insurance an it also lets my kids be involved in activities in school an out of school i pay the school $5 a week i dont pay school donation an have told school that this money is for school trips sports an photos etc so they are totally kool with it talk to school they are pretty ok with single parents gettn ahead slowly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea paying the $5 a week to the school, its much easier paying a little at a time, and you still know you are contributing. No harm in kids sharing a room as well, as they extra money you get will make a big difference in other areas. Well done.

      Delete